Broiled (or Grilled) Duck Breast
Makes 4 servings
- 1 DAY BEFORE SERVING, trim off all excess
fat from the duck breasts. In a bowl
combine the salt, shallots, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns, and
- Roll the duck breasts in the mixture and
stack them, skin side down, in the bowl. Cover bowl with a towel or
plastic wrap and let stand, refrigerated, 12 to 24 hours, turning
breasts over once.
- 30 MINUTES BEFORE SERVING, wipe or rinse the
duck breasts to remove excess seasonings and any liquid that may have
exuded during the marinating time. Discard marinade and allow breasts
to come to room temperature. Pat ducks dry.
- To broil, set the broiler rack about 4
inches from heat. Score the skin and place duck breasts skin side down
on broiler rack.
- 8 OR 9 MINUTES BEFORE SERVING, broil 1
minute in order to sear flesh side and melt excess skin-side fat from
reflected heat. Turn breasts over and broil about 4 minutes longer.
Breasts will "tighten up" and become thicker. With thumb and middle
finger, pinch meat from under skin end to flesh side to test for
doneness. If the flesh springs back quickly it is rare; if there is
some "give" it is medium.
- Transfer breasts to carving board and let rest 1 to 2 minutes. To serve, thinly slice meat crosswise diagonally. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, then fan each breast out on an individual heated serving plate. Serve at once.
- Score the fat with knife both ways, down into the
skin, but not into the meat. Trim any excess fat
but leave a little skin to help the rendering (Rendering helps get crispy skin
getting rid of the fat)
- For rub use: fresh bay leaves, garlic, fresh thyme, little salt,
fresh ground pepper, shallots and parsley
- Mix together and rub all over the duck
- To render the skin; put duck skin side down into
cast iron frying pan on a medium grill. Leave grill uncovered. Brown slowly until the skin is nicely browned and plenty of fat is rendered, about 8-10 minutes. Check breast after 5 minutes to make sure it is not browning or burning to fast. Reduce heat if necessary.
- Remove breasts from pan and flip over and grill
flesh side down directly over a medium hot fire.
Close grill and check after 4 minutes.
Touch breasts for firmness. Once firm take out and tranfer to a platter.
- Let rest for 5 minutes then slice and serve.
3639 18th St
San Francisco, CA 94110
1115 Main Street
Star Market in Berkeley
368 Claremont Ave
Order at www.libertyducks.com.