Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
- 4 medium-sized portobello mushrooms
- 8 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, parsley or chives
- 8 pieces whole-grain bread, toasted
- With a brush or damp cloth remove any dirt from the mushrooms. Remove the stem and save for another use. Place the mushrooms in a wide bowl and coat on all sides with the olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and the chopped fresh herbs, if available.
- Preheat a broiler, or start a charcoal fire. When hot, place the mushrooms on the grill over the fire. Grill for about one minute on each side. The mushrooms should be juicy but not shrunken.
- Cut the buns in half lengthwise or cut the bread to look like hamburger buns. Place the grilled mushrooms on the buns and serve warm.
- Cut the cucumber into ð-inch dice, put in a stainless steal colander, and sprinkle with salt. Let the cucumbers drain for 1 to 2 hours, to remove excess liquid.
- On a board, make a paste of the garlic with the salt. In a bowl, put the cucumbers, garlic, mint, and yogurt. Mix well and add salt to taste.
About Dr. Rubin:
Dr. Rubin is the author of Diabetes For Dummies, Diabetes Cookbook For Dummies, Thyroid For Dummies and High Blood Pressure For Dummies.
Diabetes For Dummies, now in a second edition, is the bestselling book for the non-physician on the subject of diabetes in the United States.
Dr. Rubin's books have been translated into Chinese, Vietnamese, French, and Russian, as well as being published for localized editions in the UK and Canada.
Dr. Rubin is an internationally recognized authority on diabetes and thyroid disease, and is a frequent guest on local and national radio and television news programs. He maintains a private practice in San Francisco, California.
Tips from Dr. Rubin on avoiding diabetes:
- Everyone should be screened for diabetes with a blood test by age 45 or
even earlier if you are overweight, have high blood pressure and lead a
- Lifestyle change is the most powerful way to manage diabetes or to
prevent prediabetes from becoming diabetes.
- The best lifestyle change is to lose weight.
- The second best lifestyle change is regular vigorous exercise.
- Eat according to a schedule to avoid unplanned eating.
- Eat your food in a designated eating place where you do nothing else.
- Use smaller plates and shallow bowls to reduce the size of your portions.
- Do nothing but eat while you are eating, no TV, computer, talking on the
- Slow down the pace of eating by chewing thoroughly, putting your fork down between bites and not picking it up until you have swallowed your food.