MERRITT ISLAND, Florida -- A man is recovering after his fingers were blown off in an incident involving fireworks this week, WKMG-TV reports.
RELATED: Antioch man suffers severe injuries to both hands after setting off firework
Ryan Dobard had to be airlifted to a hospital after the Tuesday incident.
A friend says doctors froze the man's fingers and are keeping them at the hospital, hoping to reattach them.
RELATED: This teen is warning others about dangers of fireworks after losing his fingers and eye
Neighbors say at 9:30 p.m., a group of tenants, including Dobard, were playing with fireworks that were modified with a shorter fuse.
Sherome Cosby says the firework blew up in his friend's hand while he was standing on the second-story balcony.
RELATED: Young Newark man suffers horrific injuries in fireworks accident
"He tried to throw it I guess and it blew up before he threw it, right in this hand," Cosby said.
The explosion was so powerful its traces could be seen on the lawn below.
Doctors freeze man's severed fingers after they're blown off by fireworks
More TOP STORIES News