The city is rolling back its reopening again. Last week, restaurants had to shut down indoor dining. Now there are more changes.
"A number of things will need to come off the table," said Mayor London Breed.
RELATED: Newsom considering curfew as CA COVID-19 cases spike, 40 counties move to more restrictive tiers
Mayor Breed announced non-essential offices which had been opened to 25% capacity in late October will need to close.
Also, fitness centers will need to reduce their capacity to 10% down from 25%.
The changes will go into effect Tuesday.
"This is me sounding the alarm," said Mayor Breed.
Both the Mayor and Dr. Grant Colfax explained that San Francisco is in the midst of a major surge.
In order to avoid a city-wide shutdown, Dr. Colfax urged San Franciscans not to leave the Bay Area to celebrate the upcoming holiday.
RELATED: California issues travel advisory instead of mandatory quarantine, but will it be taken seriously?
"These are not normal times, next week is Thanksgiving and as hard as it is to say this, please do not travel, please do not travel," said Dr. Colfax.
Dr. Colfax also urged residents not to use testing to determine whether or not they can travel. He explained a negative test does not mean you're not harboring the virus.
"The safest way to celebrate Thanksgiving is to stay home with members of your household," said Dr. Colfax.
If you are going to gather, which Dr. Colfax strongly recommended against doing, he suggested no more than 6 people, outdoors and with masks on, emphasizing the best way to celebrate this year is virtually.
He said anyone exposed to the virus should quarantine for 14 days.
RELATED: Growing demand for San Francisco coronavirus testing sites as cases surge, holidays approach
Another change coming Tuesday, the SOMA COVID-19 testing site is being relocated to the Alemany Farmer's Market.
The move is intended to serve a neighborhood more highly impacted by the pandemic.
MAP: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic