MONTEREY COUNTY, Calif. -- The city of Monterey issued an emergency health order Wednesday to require the use of a face covering in business districts while also closing the city's beaches this weekend to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
LATEST UPDATE: Newsom orders tightened coronavirus restrictions for CA
City law enforcement have begun enforcing the order, which requires the face coverings for people both inside and outside, and will issue $100 citations to people on their first violation, according to city officials.
People in the city's business districts will also be required to maintain at least 6 feet of distance from others who don't live in the same household.
VIDEO: What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
"People and businesses know by now that masks are required and we have to compel compliance to reduce the spread of the virus," City Manager Hans Uslar said. "Our educational approach has shown success, yet, we need to do much better."
The city's beach closure for Saturday and Sunday is in anticipation of large crowds during the Fourth of July weekend and covers Del Monte, San Carlos and McAbee beaches, according to the city.
4TH OF JULY HOLIDAY: Here's what's allowed and what's not in California
Ocean activities like swimming, surfing, and kayaking will still be allowed but all beach activities will be prohibited.
"Every one of us has to celebrate with care this Fourth of July," Monterey Mayor Clyde Roberson said. "These weekend restrictions may not be popular, but they are imperative to save lives and reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our community."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- WATCH LIST: Here are the California counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- California reopening: Here's what's open, closed in the Bay Area
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- WATCH: ABC7 Listens 'From Anger To Action: A Bay Area Conversation'
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US