"I like the energy and activity and multicultural and everybody in Oakland using the lake, but on the other hand, it gets out of hand, people can't self-regulate," said nearby resident Warren Mead. "There's trash everywhere, they're parking everywhere, driving on the sidewalks and medians, peeing in people's yards. It's overly crazy."
RELATED: Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf says of out-of-town vendors at Lake Merritt 'pisses me off'
Triple parked cars have blocked emergency vehicles. Churches say loud music has interrupted outdoor services. So now, the Oakland City Council has decided to beef up enforcement starting this weekend to make sure rules are followed around the lake.
"Every week, we're really trying to maintain order and start always with education, start with communication. Enforcement is the last resort and it will be resorted to when necessary," said Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf said.
Park ambassadors were deployed last year to encourage masks and social distancing. This year, this weekend, they'll be out to remind people to pick up trash and keep noise levels down.
RELATED: Expert issues warning after parties, social gatherings blamed for coronavirus spike in Oakland
Some Lake Merritt residents revel in the joyous crowds. Others welcome some intervention.
"It's been very lively, a nice place to be. But for sure the trash has been building up," said resident Summer Johnson.
RELATED: Oakland to prohibit parking at Lake Merritt, city parks starting Friday amid COVID-19
It's a balancing act for the city to maintain civility and safety but also support local vendors and families looking for a place to hang out.
VACCINE TRACKER: How California is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows which counties can, can't reopen under reopening tiers
- Cheat sheet: What you can and can't do after being fully vaccinated
- CA COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker: See your status here
- These CA counties are way ahead in vaccinations
- How to register for a COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Interactive map shows what's closed and what's reopening in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic