OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- The Oakland School Board has set a deadline for when COVID vaccinations will be mandated for eligible students. Those with certain medical cases and religious beliefs are exempt.
Last night the board approved requiring students 12 and older to get at least one shot by January 1 to attend school in person. If the students don't, they will have to make the switch to an independent study program, or un-enroll from school.
57.5% of eligible students in Oakland Unified have had at least one shot. Compare that with the city of Oakland, which is at 88.4%.
This also brings out a lot of emotion from some parents -- there was a tense moment that happened at the meeting last night. A woman opposed to the student vaccination mandate nearly forced the Oakland School Board to go into recess when she removed her mask.
The school district says it will focus on outreach to try and convince families to vaccinate their kids.
VACCINE TRACKER: How California is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Mask mandates are back in Bay Area, so what's the safest one to wear? Here's what doctor says
- What we know about the delta variant of COVID-19 following new CDC report
- Lambda and delta plus: What to know about other COVID variants detected in US
- Should vaccinated people get tested if exposed to COVID-19? CDC explains
- Can a breakthrough infection still lead to long haul COVID-19? San Francisco doctor explains
- CA COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker: See your status here
- These CA counties are way ahead in vaccinations
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area