The video showing the two stabbings is horrific, a man first walks up to a bus stop, then brutally stabs two seniors who had been waiting for a Muni bus at 4th and Market Street.
RELATED: Surveillance video shows violent stabbing of 2 older Asian women at SF bus stop
"When I saw him holding the knife I knew something bad was happening," said Patricia Lee, a florist in the area, who witnessed the attack. We showed her the video for the first time on Thursday.
"That was me right there," said Lee. "It could have happened to me I was turned back this way, you see I was right there with the water, he passed right next to me."
Police say the man in the video is 54-year-old Patrick Thompson. San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin filed attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse charges against Thompson Thursday.
RELATED: Family of Asian grandmother stabbed at San Francisco bus stop in 'shock and disbelief'
"Well hello there's no other charge, you can't downplay this that's what he deserves to be charged with," says Vice President of the San Francisco Police Officer's Association Tracy McCray who says this crime could have been avoided altogether if Thompson, previously charged with assault with a deadly weapon in a separate case, hadn't been let out from the Napa State Hospital and then enrolled in a mental health diversion program.
"He just walked up to them but he shouldn't have been out in the first place, period. Violent criminal did an unprovoked attack before and he's free to walk around to do it again and guess what he did," said McCray.
EXCLUSIVE: Asian father brutally attacked while walking with 1-year-old child in SF
Officers were able to catch Thompson just hours after this Tuesday attack. Sources provided an x-ray image to ABC7 News showing the broken knife that was stuck inside one of the victim's lungs.
Patricia Lee just hopes that Thompson isn't released again.
"You know hopefully he'll stay behind bars for a long time, a long long time," says Lee.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Bay Area Asian Americans share powerful, painful memories of hate
- Ken Jeong among stars coming together for new AAPI public service announcement
- Asian woman hit in the head with hammer while walking in NYC
- EXCLUSIVE: Asian father brutally attacked while walking with 1-year-old child in SF
- President of Oakland's Chinatown Chamber of Commerce attacked on way to visit with assault victim
- Senate passes bill to fight hate crimes against Asian Americans
- EXCLUSIVE: 2 Asian women attacked, robbed in different neighborhoods; 1 close to SF DA's home
- EXCLUSIVE: Asian woman brutally attacked at gunpoint, robbed after being followed in SF
- Antioch aims to make amends with Asian residents, past and present
- EXCLUSIVE: Asian man recalls stabbing attack in SF's Bayview as police address increase in violence
- Doormen fired after failing to intervene in vicious attack on Asian woman in NYC
- EXCLUSIVE: Neighbor's racist rant against Chinese family caught on camera in San Jose
- EXCLUSIVE: 7-year-old Oakland girl's message to robbers who tied up parents, stole family's life savings
- 700 whistles donated to help protect Asian seniors stolen in San Francisco
- EXCLUSIVE: 2 Asian seniors believe they were targeted after car fires in Oakland
- 'We can stop hate together': Rallies held across the Bay Area to stop AAPI violence
- Hundreds of people are volunteering to escort elderly Asian Americans to help keep them safe
- Surge in racism against Asian Americans spurs calls for change
- Oakland police chief visits Chinatown shops, emphasizes need for 'greater presence' after attacks, crime
- 83-year-old Asian man describes debilitating SF attack, warns people 'to be careful'
- 'Go back to China': Racist rant suspect ID'd as daughter of late NY senator
- Asian American victim considers moving out of state after brutal attack in SF
- EXCLUSIVE: 75-year-old Asian man warned about increase in attacks days before murder in Oakland
- Daniel Dae Kim, members of Congress to testify on discrimination, violence against Asian Americans
- Asian grandma knocked unconscious in unprovoked attack in NY
- Family outraged over SF DA's description of 84-year-old Asian man's suspected killer