I obtained this video through sources and spent a great deal of time debating whether or not to release it to the public. I was also provided an image of the x-ray showing the weapon used. It was still inside Mrs. Chui Fong's body at the time it was taken.
RELATED: Find resources to help with equality, justice and race issues
The force used to stab her was so great the handle broke off and the blade remained in her body.
In journalism, there should be a purpose to what is shown. It is not to provide shock value, clicks or "likes" on social media. One needs to ask "what is the context behind this video?" Without context, it has no purpose.
In this case, my team and I felt like it was important to visualize what happened so the audience understands the severity of the crime. This was not a stabbing involving a pocket knife. It was a serrated blade larger than Mrs. Fong's arm.
This is the x-ray of the knife in 85-year old Mrs. Fong’s body.— Dion Lim (@DionLimTV) May 6, 2021
Like my previous Tweet of the video showing the stabbing— I sat on this photo & debated if showing it provided value & context. Here is why my team & I believe it can.
(1/3) #StopAAPIHate #AAPI pic.twitter.com/MhaScycPmW
This video provides a clear look of how it happened. You can see how calmly the suspect approaches the woman. There are others standing nearby yet these two seniors were the ones the suspect, Patrick Thompson, allegedly chose as victims.
RELATED: Family of Asian grandmother stabbed at San Francisco bus stop in 'shock and disbelief'
The video also shows the quick thinking of others and how bystanders rushed to help. I even spoke to one woman Wednesday who works nearby and recalled how she cradled Mrs. Fong and the other woman while emergency crews arrived.
Thompson has a criminal background including assault with a deadly weapon likely to cause great bodily injury from 2017 and 2019. Records provided to me show Thompson was let out on mental health diversion in the fall of 2020. He was supposed to be behind bars for his previous charges for 25-years to life.
Surviellance video shows violent stabbing of 2 older Asian women at SF bus stop
WARNING: The video below is disturbing an graphic
While we do not know the extent yet of what happened in those previous incidents, this video shows what happened this week.
I myself have only watched this video three times because it is simply too much to bear. That anger and deep sadness I felt was shared by another member of our editorial team who viewed it and helped decide if anything needed to be blurred. We decided it did not need to be.
EXCLUSIVE: Asian father brutally attacked while walking with 1-year-old child in SF
Mrs. Fong's family knows why we chose to share. As grandson Drew told me during one of our correspondences over the past couple of days: "...we need to put as much pressure as possible to get this guy prosecuted."
I will channel this feeling of pain and outrage into continuing the fight to bring the truth.
Chui Fong's family has set up a GoFundMe to help pay for medical expenses.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Bay Area Asian Americans share powerful, painful memories of hate
- Ken Jeong among stars coming together for new AAPI public service announcement
- Asian woman hit in the head with hammer while walking in NYC
- EXCLUSIVE: Asian father brutally attacked while walking with 1-year-old child in SF
- President of Oakland's Chinatown Chamber of Commerce attacked on way to visit with assault victim
- Senate passes bill to fight hate crimes against Asian Americans
- EXCLUSIVE: 2 Asian women attacked, robbed in different neighborhoods; 1 close to SF DA's home
- EXCLUSIVE: Asian woman brutally attacked at gunpoint, robbed after being followed in SF
- Antioch aims to make amends with Asian residents, past and present
- EXCLUSIVE: Asian man recalls stabbing attack in SF's Bayview as police address increase in violence
- Doormen fired after failing to intervene in vicious attack on Asian woman in NYC
- EXCLUSIVE: Neighbor's racist rant against Chinese family caught on camera in San Jose
- EXCLUSIVE: 7-year-old Oakland girl's message to robbers who tied up parents, stole family's life savings
- 700 whistles donated to help protect Asian seniors stolen in San Francisco
- EXCLUSIVE: 2 Asian seniors believe they were targeted after car fires in Oakland
- 'We can stop hate together': Rallies held across the Bay Area to stop AAPI violence
- Hundreds of people are volunteering to escort elderly Asian Americans to help keep them safe
- Surge in racism against Asian Americans spurs calls for change
- Oakland police chief visits Chinatown shops, emphasizes need for 'greater presence' after attacks, crime
- 83-year-old Asian man describes debilitating SF attack, warns people 'to be careful'
- 'Go back to China': Racist rant suspect ID'd as daughter of late NY senator
- Asian American victim considers moving out of state after brutal attack in SF
- EXCLUSIVE: 75-year-old Asian man warned about increase in attacks days before murder in Oakland
- Daniel Dae Kim, members of Congress to testify on discrimination, violence against Asian Americans
- Asian grandma knocked unconscious in unprovoked attack in NY
- Family outraged over SF DA's description of 84-year-old Asian man's suspected killer