WATCH LIVE NOW: Gov. Gavin Newsom gives COVID-19 update
Sunday morning service at St. George Orthodox Cathedral in Daly City was held in the parking lot.
"It's weird, it's different, for now, it's ok," said parishioner Jenna Elgelda.
Father George Jweinat said he got no official word from San Mateo County that he'd have to move his mass outdoors.
"I listened to the news and heard it," Jweinat said.
CORONANVIRUS IMPACT: San Mateo County ordered to close indoor malls, gyms, salons and more by Sunday
So the church pivoted with a few pop-up tents.
"It's not a big deal, but here in Daly City, as you know it's freezing this morning," said Jweinat.
The county health order took other churches by surprise.
Our Lady of Mercy in Daly City posted a note on the door, the church was closed. The mass was streamed on Facebook.
But many parishioners didn't get the message and showed up.
RELATED: Churches amid the coronavirus pandemic: Some outbreaks, many challenges
"I'm feeling sad, I can't go to my house of worship," said parishioner Jackie Thomsen
"In my opinion, they don't want people to go to church, that's the only thing I can think of," said parishioner Michael Sarafian.
After spending multiple days on the state's watch list with spiking numbers of COVID-19, the county was forced to tell many indoor businesses to close or move outside. That includes barber shops, hair and nail salons, gyms and shopping malls.
Kelly Maguire owns The Farm, a private gym in San Mateo. He's equipped to do outdoor workouts with clients but fears the new health order could keep them away.
"Most people are afraid, I suspect it's going to take a year to get people's minds wrapped around this so they're not afraid anymore," said Maguire.
Like many small businesses, Maguire says he'll adapt.
Back at St. George's, Father Jweinat will order more tents for next weekend's services outdoors. but first, a prayer.
"We're praying to put this thing behind us," said Jweinat.
WATCH LIST: 38 California counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic hereRELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay athome orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic