On Monday, Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced his plant was re-opening in defiance of county shelter orders that are stricter than the State of California.
On its website over the weekend, Tesla has touted various safety measures, like masks and temperature checks, but now county health officials want additional measures as part of of the deal.
RELATED: Tesla files suit over Alameda County's coronavirus restrictions, Elon Musk threatens to move headquarters out of California
"As many people know, they have made public announcements that they have worked with Tesla and they put together a process where they reopen," said Gov. Gavin Newsom, a longtime supporter of Tesla.
Alameda County is allowing Tesla to restart, while the vast majority of other businesses in the county must remain closed.
"In the case of other manufacturing plants, I think they have the right to say 'hey as long as we do similar kinds of things, in order to protect our workers, best as we possibly can in order to protect our workers,'" said Bay Area Council President Jim Wunderman. "Then they should be able to open too."
RELATED: President Trump tweets support for Elon Musk after he reopened Tesla plant against Alameda County order
As word of the agreement between Tesla and the county emerged, protesters gathered outside a Tesla complex down the road from the plant. They celebrated the re-opening, but demanded Newsom allow more businesses to re-open immediately.
"We don't have to open everything just like that," said demonstrator Dean Seoane. "But we do need to look at why do we have Home Depot and we have 200 people in that store, when we can't even put 10 people, spacing properly in a Mom and Pop shop or a restaurant."
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- How California's COVID-19 cases stack up against other hot spot states
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions