An interactive graph created by ABC7 News shows how the number of COVID-19 cases in the Golden State compares to other states that have seen large outbreaks.
INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How the coronavirus crisis spun out of control in New York and not in California
While New York and California, two of the largest states in the country, have some of the most known COVID-19 cases in raw numbers, the picture looks different when broken down per capita. As seen in the graph, smaller states like Connecticut, Massachusetts and Louisiana have far more COVID-19 cases per 100,000 residents.
California has more than 35,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases, but only about 85 per 100,000. That's less than 0.01% of the population.
RELATED: When will California reopen? Here's when researchers project California can start to lift restrictions
Connecticut only has around 22,000 confirmed cases, but it represents a much larger proportion of the population -- about 0.6%.
New York has the most cases of any state, as well as the most cases per capita. The CDC reported more than 250,000 known cases in the state of New York, as of Friday. Approximately 1.3% of New York state residents have tested positive for COVID-19.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19