People no doubt are hurting, but they now have a unique new website launched by a tech start-up and an Oakland-based non-profit to turn to for help and inspiration: OnwardCA.org.
Freada Kapor Klein runs the Kapor Center, the non-profit arm of the VC firm, Kapor Capital. The charity in Oakland works to bring more low-income youth into computer programming and STEM.
"To date more than 300,000 Californians have logged on and have actually gotten linked to one of three types of services," said Kapor Klein.
The Kapor Center, along with several philanthropic and corporate partners, are funding OnwardCA.org.
The site provides access to emergency services like food and childcare.
It offers job training as well as more than 100,000 job opportunities from companies hiring now.
Governor Newsom says the goal is to get people back to work.
"We can get you off unemployment insurance or if you haven't gone on, to make sure you don't have to get on," he said.
OnwardCA is the brainchild of Fresno-based Bitwise, a tech start-up with the goal of creating a vibrant tech community in what they call "underdog cities."
20 women of color in the company's apprenticeship program built OnwardCA.
Bitwise says the effort is totally philanthropic.
And in just two weeks, the idea is catching on.
"Many other states reached out to Bitwise and the Kapor Center and said 'we need this.' Today we announced the launch of OnwardUS.org, said Kapor Klein.
She says about a dozen states have already begun uploading job opportunities to the new site.
The goal is to get all 50 states on board. Colorado is the first to announce its participation.
"I'm very excited to see a group of people who want to solve real problems roll up their sleeves, bring their tech skills, bring their heart, bring their sense of fairness all to play in solving these problems," Kapor Klein said.
Bitwise is looking for more corporate foundations and non-profits to join its effort.
Take a look at more stories and videos by Michael Finney and 7 On Your Side.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19