Council members unanimously agreed to spend $2 million to pay for five new police officers and increase the police overtime budget.
City Manager Dan Buckshi said, "This is the action that will have the most immediate impact, is to increase our overtime in order to allow two additional officers, eight hours a day, three days a week."
Additional money, which is coming from federal stimulus funds, will help pay for new security cameras to enhance the system the city already has in place.
RELATED STORIES AND VIDEOS:
- 2nd error revealed in arrests of Walnut Creek Nordstrom mob theft suspects
- Sheriff's office admits Walnut Creek Nordstrom theft suspect released by mistake
- Contra Costa Co. Sheriff's Office 'investigating' why Nordstrom theft suspect was released
- 3 arrested, firearm recovered from Walnut Creek Nordstrom store flash mob robbery involving 80 people: Police
- Brazen flash mob-style robbery of Walnut Creek Nordstrom sparks outrage from city leaders
- CHP immediately increasing freeway patrols near major CA shopping centers after brazen robberies