Teen making smoke bomb burned by flash fire

January 16, 2011 2:14:33 PM PST
Fire officials in Santa Rosa believe a teenager was making a smoke bomb from instructions he found on the Internet when a flash fire ignited in a home late Friday night.

Firefighters responded to reports of a structure fire at 4231 Flat Rock Circle and found a stovetop kitchen fire that had been extinguished at around 10:55 p.m., according to the Santa Rosa Fire Department.

A teenage resident of the home suffered fist and second degree burns to his eyes and hands and was taken to Kaiser Foundation Hospital before firefighters arrived.

The victim was subsequently transferred to a burn center at Saint Francisco Memorial Hospital for further treatment. He is expected to survive.

The boy was apparently trying to make a smoke bomb for a special effect prop, according to the fire department. He was using a recipe found on the Internet to mix up chemicals and consumer goods on the stove when the materials ignited in a flash fire.

The kitchen sustained minor damage in the fire.

Load Comments