On Wednesday, Newsom said the state is still organizing the backlogged cases as a result of the recent data glitch.
RELATED: Gov. Gavin Newsom calls out 'spring break'-sized crowds at local river amid COVID-19 pandemic
Much of his update focused on the economy including more questions about the enhanced federal unemployment benefits and when Californians will see that money.
"The most urgent economic recovery tool for the business community the one that we need the most is to stabilize this virus, to bend the curve of this pandemic to do everything in our power to mitigate the spread of COVID-19," said Newsom.
As of Aug. 11, there were 11,645 coronavirus cases, however, 6,212 of those were backlogged cases from the recent data glitch. 5,433 of them were new cases.
LIST: You must wear a face covering when visiting these stores
"Want to see those numbers continue to go down, wear a mask," said Newsom.
On the economy, Gov. Newsom answered more questions today about unemployment benefits.
An additional $600 per week of unemployment benefits expired at the end of July.
An executive order was expected to provide an additional $400 a week. That amount has now been revised to $300 a week.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
"I think it is a historic blunder if we are unable to accommodate the needs of tens of millions of Americans with subsequent supplemental on unemployment insurance and I believe personally and professionally that $300 is simply inadequate," said Governor Newsom.
Newsom said if California residents only get an additional $300 of supplemental unemployment insurance, the state is working on solutions to process those payments as quickly and efficiently as possible.
However, the governor said new eligibility rules could delay the processing of those payments.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic