Vigil held for Danville teen

January 21, 2009 11:27:39 PM PST
A candlelight vigil was held Wednesday night for a teenager shot and killed in Danville. As you can imagine, family and friends of the boy are heartbroken, and police are left with a mystery.

What was once a very large vigil outside the home of Rylan Fuchs is now just a small memorial with candles at the doorstep of the family's home. At one point there were roughly 100 people at the family's home and police even showed up to ensure everyone's safety. It was a show of how much this teenager was loved and how this murder has rocked this quiet East Bay community.

It's been more than 24 hours since 17-year-old Rylan Fuchs was shot on his front porch. The vigil held was trying to bring light to the dark outside his home.

"I'm still in disbelief, I'm in shock, I keep thinking he's going to come waking through the door, come out of his bedroom and he's not, he's not," said Karen Williams, the victim's mother.

Rylan's teenage friends and classmates from San Ramon Valley High School are trying to make sense of the shock.

"We want to know why, what happened, because someone like him doesn't just get shot," said Casey Brown, the victim's friend.

"Whatever the cause was, whatever anyone believes, he did not need to go through that," said Justin Loera, the victim's friend.

It happened just after 9 p.m. Tuesday night. His step-father says he found Rylan bleeding on this porch after hearing a gunshot. He and Rylan's 9-year-old brother tried to stop the bleeding until Rylan was taken to the hospital, where he later died.

"He had his life ahead of him and it's gone, it's totally gone and I hope they find who did this to him," said Williams.

Danville Police say they are working some leads. They think Rylan went outside last night to meet with someone he knew.

"We are confident that it's not a random act. We believe that the responsible was associated somehow with the victim," said Danville Police Chief Chris Wenzel.

Wednesday night, people he knew are gathering by the dozens.

"It's sad, straight up," said Loera.

"He was always the kind of person who made the jokes and just have the cleverest stuff to say," said Brown.

"He was loved. He had a beautiful girlfriend and so many friends have stopped by," said Williams.

At this point no arrest have been made and police say they will not have an update on this case until Thursday morning at the earliest.

Fuch's murder is the first in Danville in two years.