- 12 Baby artichokes
- 1 Fennel bulb sliced thinly
- 12 Lemon slices
- 1 Cups milk
- 2 Egg whites
- All purpose flour to cover
- Salt to taste
- Pure olive oil for frying
- Parsley for garnish
- Combine milk and egg whites. Do not beat the egg whites - leave them whole.
- Submerge the vegetables in the mixture and refrigerate for four hours.
- Heat oil in a deep pot to 375 degrees or until a drop of water spatters.
- Using a screen or a basket, shake vegetables in flour until coated well.
- Fry vegetables until deep golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Serve hot sprinkled with salt on doilies. Sprinkle with parsley.
Peter Chastain joined PRIMA in 1999 as executive chef after he purchased it with his business partner John Rittmaster in June of 2005 from its founding owners. Today Chastain continues Prima's more than 30 year tradition of sharing the simple pleasures of the Italian way of life as chef and owner.
Chastain is an American who has garnered national acclaim for embracing the Italian sensitivity to ingredient quality and freshness. He embraces Italian sensibility with foods that are exquisitely pure and immaculately simple. His style relies upon flawless execution to showcase the quality and freshness of each carefully selected ingredient - composed to be a wonderful experience on the palate.
Having worked in Japan, Europe, and the United States, Chastain has extensive experience in all aspects of kitchen operations - from production to instruction. A native of Berkley, California, he trained in the mid-eighties under the renowned, late Ken Wolfe at Contra Costa College. Since then, he has been an instructor at Contra Costa College and worked in several leading Bay Area Restaurants.
Prior to joining PRIMA, Chastain opened Mazzini Trattoria as Executive Chef, in Berkley in 1998. He was also Executive Chef at Ristorante Venezia for several years before consulting to Hilton International in Japan. Chastain is no stranger to San Francisco restaurants having worked for Pacific Heights Bar and Grill, Janots, Clift Four Seasons Hotel, St Francis Yacht Club and Paula Le Duc. Chastain resides in Oakland, California with his family.
1522 North Main Street
Walnut Creek, California 94596