A similar campaign on Aug. 11 resulted in 300 Bay Area drivers being cited by the CHP, and more than 350 other drivers being cited by other Bay Area law enforcement agencies, according to the CHP.
The law, which went into effect last year, prohibits drivers from using cell phones while driving, except for hands-free devices. Those under age 18 are banned from using any cell phone while driving.
Fines for first-time offenses range from $120 to $150, according to the CHP.
CHP spokesman Sgt. Trent Cross said the campaign is intended to educate the public about the dangers of driving while distracted. He said additional enforcements are planned in the future.