Bay Area recovering from massive storm

MOST POPULAR: Video, stories and more
SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you from ABC7 News

Power Outages:

PG&E crews are still working to restore power to thousands of Bay Area customers who were knocked off line by the storm.

A total of about 217,000 customers experienced outages Tuesday, that's down to about 6,000 now. In the South Bay about 5,000 customers are affected; on the Peninsula 750 customers are blacked out; in the East Bay there are 350 customers without power; the North Bay has 500; and power has been restored to everyone in San Francisco.

>> PG&E outage map

East Bay

In Antioch, residents are cleaning up a mess in an area near the fairground that also flooded yesterday. They say this same area has flooded in the past. The driver of a Cadillac got stuck in deep water and had to call 911 for help. Other drivers got into trouble when they drove past road blocks some drivers said they never saw a roadblock. In total, about six square blocks were flooded when a nearby canal overflowed. The flooding also damaged several apartments.

The storm will also mean no school today for hundreds of students in the East Bay. Classes are cancelled today at James Logan High School in Union City. The storm caused a power outage and damage to the school. It will take a day to finish repairs.

South Bay

Some residents in a storm damaged area of the Santa Cruz Mountains are being allowed to return home. They had to evacuate Tuesday, after the storm caused some mudslides and a deep split in a main road.

The emergency operations center said that the evacuation orders have been lifted for the Swanton Road area near Davenport and Corralitos. Evacuations are still in place for 50 of the 80 homes on Eureka Canyon Road.

The Red Cross in Corralitos will be on standby at least through Wednesday.

>> Full report from ABC7's Teresa Garcia

San Francisco

The weather may have knocked down a tree at San Francisco's Fort Mason. Crews removed the fallen tree at the Army base-turned national park Wednesday morning. Part of the 90-year-old tree fell onto a house overnight. Nobody was hurt.


       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget

Copyright © 2024 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.