Makes about 6 servings
Hello to "home-style" frosting-fresh and not from a plastic tub. Goodness without guilt. I use carob in my cake to cut down on the caffeine, and because I love carob for its malty rich flavor. This cake is to live for, it's one of my favorites.
- 3 cups dry walnuts
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cacao powder or carob powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1/3 cup semi-soft pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 cup ripe avocado flesh (from about 1medium avocado)
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- To make the cake, combine the walnuts, cacao powder, and salt in the food processor
and pulse until coarsely mixed. Avoid overprocessing.
Add the dates and pulse until mixed well. Shape into 2 stackable cakes of desired shape and set aside.
- To make the frosting, combine the dates and agave syrup in the food processor
and process until smooth. Add the avocado and process until smooth. Add the
cacao powder and process until smooth.
- To serve, frost the top of one of the cakes with half the frosting and top with
the raspberries. Stack the second cake on top and frost the top and side. Serve
immediately, or place in the refrigerator for a couple hours to firm up.
- The cake on its own will keep in the fridge for many weeks. The frosting will keep separately in the fridge for 1 week. The assembled cake with raspberries will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
About the book: Ani's Raw Food Desserts
It is possible to have your cake and eat it too! Ani's Raw Food Desserts presents innovative, delicious desserts that are good-and good for you.
From cobblers to cookies, puddings to pies-and even cupcakes, Chef Ani's easy-to-make raw sweets are wheat, gluten, dairy, processed sugar and cruelty-free. Deceptively simple, these treats pack loads of flavor and nutrition in every bite.
Complete with lists of essential tools and key ingredients, (including "superfoods" that enhance flavor and nutrition) Ani's Raw Food Desserts proves that you don't have to sacrifice taste or style to reap the benefits of raw food.
About Ani Phyo:
Ani Phyo is one of the nation's premier raw food chefs. The author of Ani's Raw Food Kitchen and Return on Design, she lives in Los Angeles.
Ani will be a guest chef presenter at the Green Festival San Francisco this weekend.
November 13-15, 2009
Friday - 12pm - 7pm
Saturday - 10am - 7pm
Sunday - 11am - 6pm
San Francisco Concourse Exhibition Center
635 8th St (at Brannan St)
San Francisco, CA 94103