March 20th is the beginning of the Persian New Year and Elham created a dish to celebrate that viewers can make at home. Kookoo Sabzi is a traditional Persian dish. Normally served with herbed rice, fish and the kookoo is served as a side dish. Persian New Year, which is on March 20th this year.
Learn more about Persian New Year: http://www.kudakon.com/AboutNoRouz.html
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 1 bunch scallions, green parts only, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
- ½ bunch dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh fenugreek (or 1 teaspoon dried) (This is a spice)
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dried red currants or dried cranberries (Rehydrated in warm water for 15 minutes and drained) (optional)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat the butter or oil in an ovenproof sauté pan or skillet over medium flame. Add the scallions, parsley, cilantro, dill, and fenugreek, and sauté until the herbs are cooked down somewhat, around 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool. Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel.
- Add the eggs, turmeric, salt and pepper to a large bowl and beat until smooth. Gently stir in the cooled herbs, currants, and walnuts, if adding.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the sauté pan and place the pan in the preheated oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the eggs are fully set.
- Run a knife around the edges of the kookoo and invert onto a serving platter. Cut into wedges and serve hot or cold with a garnish of plain yogurt.
- Substitute chopped lettuce leaves or spinach for some of the herbs.
- The kookoo can also be finished on the stovetop. Just cook it over medium-low flame until the bottom is set, and then carefully flip it to cook the other side. Bottom of Form
About Elham Shahmohammadi:
Elham is the Owner and Executive Chef of Blue Sage. Blue Sage offers exceptional catering and event planning services, gourmet cooking lessons, and personal chef services, for both private and corporate clients throughout the greater San Jose and San Francisco areas. Elham has over 10 years of experience in the culinary industry. She has a deep knowledge of food and cooking and has experience in a wide variety of cuisines. She has always had a passion for cooking which really shows in her creativity and technique in her dishes and teaching style. For more information and sample menus, visit her website at http://www.bluesageexperience.com