Units went to the 4000 block of Plainfield Court where fire had been reported in the garage of a split-level home at around 6:45 a.m., San Jose fire Capt. Chuck Rangel said.
The fire was controlled at about 7:15 a.m., Rangel said, and appears to have been caused by faulty electrical wiring associated with the pot growing operation established in the home.
PG&E service had been bypassed and internal wiring was manipulated to avoid detection. Utility crews went to the home after the fire to secure the location.
No one was in the home when firefighters arrived. Police are investigating.
About four rooms were dedicated to growing pot, Rangel said.