The fire was reported at 12:12 a.m. at a two-story Victorian house at 1475 Newport Ave., fire Capt. Debbie Ward said.
The blaze was controlled around 6:20 a.m., but crews remained at the scene this morning to look for hot spots and investigate what sparked the fire.
It appears the fire started in a shed in the back of the house and spread to the second floor and roof, Ward said.
"The house is a total loss," she said.
Six people were home sleeping when the fire started, including three guests. They were able to get out of the home uninjured, Ward said. The fire did not damage surrounding homes, she said.
The blaze does not appear to be suspicious but the cause has yet to be determined, Ward said.