Electricity for marijuana causes house fire


Battalion Chief Jack Piccinini says Monday's fire was reported by a neighbor who saw flames coming from the garage of a single-story home.

Piccinini said the blaze caused about $20,000 in damage to the garage where firefighters found marijuana plants and various pot growing equipment. Piccinini said the electrical wiring wasn't upgraded to support the operation.

He said fires related to marijuana growing operations have become increasingly common.

Police were trying to determine if the marijuana was being legally grown.

Copyright © 2023 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.