In a Facebook post, Neal Gottlieb the founder and CEO of the business announced as of Friday the Ice Cream shop would be suspending operations on Friday because of its financial situation, only made worse by the COVID-19 crisis.
"The result was that the business had been unsustainable and a capital infusion was necessary, but proved to be impossible. Any chances of a last minute solution were erased by the pandemic. As a result, we have no choice but to shut down the business," Gottlieb wrote.
Founding Twin Neal Gottlieb started the business in 2005 when he was sharing an apartment with his twin brother, Carl and Carl's wife who was also a twin, hence the name, Three Twins. The business quickly turned to a Bay Area favorite where ice cream was sold as scoops at the farmers' markets and hand-packed pints at local grocery stores.
RELATED: What does it cost a small business to stay open in the Bay Area right now? A lot
"Thank you for all of your support over the years. It means more than I can possibly express in words. It's been quite the journey. Collectively we brought millions and millions of servings of joy to customers around the world, showed that you don't need to sacrifice to eat organic, and funded the purchase of 12,000 acres of land through Ice Cream For Acres."
Though the shop closed its doors on Friday, Gottlieb added, "It is possible that somebody will revive the brand in the future, but unknown how likely that may be."
Gottlieb ends his message sharing, "I have always lived by the philosophy that it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. While this is a heartbreaking end to a 15 year (and two day) dream, I feel entirely lucky to have had this opportunity. Thank you for sharing it with me."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19