"We need to reopen, we need to reopen... I don't know how else to say it," said Omar Nazzal, owner of Old Mission Barber Shop.
MAP: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
"I think at this point it's an illusion of safety."
Nazzal's shop is nestled in between two restaurants in San Francisco's mission district. There is 11 feet of curbside space that would accommodate two chairs outside his storefront.
"It isn't realistic. I have barbers that are behind on rent...barbers that have family members... kids that they have to feed... including myself," Nazzal said. "It's not realistic."
For Nazzal, it's not realistic nor enough for his barbers to make a living.
VIDEO: SF business owners plea for clearer guidelines after getting green light to reopen
"It's getting out of hand at this point, it's just been a struggle," he said. "We've been borrowing money from family and friends."
Bob Partrite shares the same struggle. He owns four restaurants along Pier 39, including Wipeout and Fog Harbor Fishhouse.
"Each day has been different. And new guidelines change everyday," he said. "We wrote a 150-page manual on how to operate in these times... so yes it's been challenging. But we are ready for the challenge."
Partrite said he's thankful he can at least operate in some capacity, but outdoor dining alone isn't going to cut it.
RELATED: Here's what Gov. Newsom's new 4-tier reopening plan means for the Bay Area
Mayor Breed said she will announce when businesses will get the green light to move indoors Tuesday, but she doesn't want to move too quickly and have to pull back.
"A month ago... it was one of the worse days of my life to have to go out there and tell businesses one thing and then tell them something else. Because I know financially, what that means to their livelihood," Breed said.
But the question now is - how many owners like Nazzal will be able to withstand the wait?
"You put your heart and soul into this, you put your savings, your whole life building up to this moment," he said. "I don't want to have to close my doors."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic