Walnut Creek practitioner Dr. David Nisenboym says dentists are well versed in giving shots.
Now these tooth doctors have been cleared to administer the COVID-19 vaccine as the rollout expands to more populations.
RELATED: When can you get the COVID-19 vaccine? Find out where you are in line
"I think one of the reasons they did this is that dental offices are pretty well positioned to do something like this," Niesenboym says. "Obviously dentists give a lot of shots and we also follow OSHA protocols so we keep things very clean here."
Since the start of the pandemic, the local dentist says he's added even more safety protocols to the office.
"We have closed our reception room so we don't have people coming in and out of there, Niesenboym says. "Every space every area is wiped down whenever a patient walks through there. We're just trying to keep everything as clean as possible."
RELATED: Pfizer vaccine works against virus variant, study suggests
Nisenboym recounts that he received an email from the California Dental Board during the first week of January that included additional training.
However, the doctor adds that no concrete guidance yet from the state on how he will get, store or administer the COVID-19 vaccine.
RELATED: Gov. Newsom says 1 million Californians will be vaccinated in the next 10 days
"Obviously we don't have the refrigeration capability that is required to store the vaccine so I don't know how that's going to work," he says. "There are still a lot of details that need to be hashed out."
Niesenboym explains that while patients have not called inquiring about getting their vaccine quite yet, he expects that to change as more people hear of the governor's order.
"I'm sure dentists are just as excited to get back to life as normal, so if we can help get back to there and people are happy to come here and get their shot, I'm sure that it'll be a win-win for everybody," says Nisenboym.
"If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic