RELATED: 'ABC7 Better Bay Area: Project Thanks'
Honking and cheers filled the neighborhood as a fire truck and a long line of cars decorated with balloons drove by Veronica Lopez, leaving her shockingly surprised.
"She was sad that it was going to pass like any other day, so it's great to see her happy," said Veronica's mom, Lisa Lopez.
Veronica is a senior at Branham High School is San Jose. She has cerebral palsy and other disabilities and is involved in the nonprofits Best Buddies and Angels on Stage.
RELATED: Neighbors surprise 95-year-old WWll veteran with birthday parade in Half Moon Bay
Veronica not only missed seeing her friends but was disappointed there would be no formal graduation due to the coronavirus pandemic, so a family friend surprised organized a parade through her San Jose neighborhood.
"She's excited. She doesn't know how to put it into words, but she is excited," her mom said. "She will talk about it later, non-stop."
Veronica is feeling the same way other seniors are right now.
"I don't want to graduate because I don't get to finish the year out with my friend," said Veronica.
She was blown away by the show of support.
Veronica plans to attend Camden Post Secondary School in the fall and is looking forward to getting back to all her activities and making a difference in the community.
"We are very proud of her, we can't wait to see what she is going to do in the future," her mom said.
Happy 18th Birthday, Veronica! 😊— Dion Lim (@DionLimTV) May 1, 2020
Veronica has cerebral palsy & is active in @BestBuddiesCA & @angelsonstage.
She was sad to miss a real birthday party & graduation 👩🏻🎓 ceremony so a family friend surprised her w/a parade through her San Jose neighborhood today! ❤️ pic.twitter.com/GN1DUMo7AG
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19