WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- Working on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic is treacherous and the last thing those workers need is to deal with their potentially contaminated clothing when they get home.
Dutch Girl Cleaners in Walnut Creek has stepped in to help.
"How can we give back to them," said owner Michelle Baughman. "They are exposed to this on a daily basis and they've taken an honor, and oath to do this so we got together and said we've got to be the ones to help the medical staff, the first responders and paramedics dealing with this day to day. We need to clean and sanitize their clothing at no charge. "
The cleaners picks up the uniforms and drops them off from work places including local fire stations and the Pleasant Hill and Walnut Creek Police Departments.
"This really helps us and gives us the opportunity to quarantine our uniforms in essence," said Sgt. Ryan Hibbs. "We don't have to take them home and expose our loved ones to the things we've been exposed to throughout our workday."
As for scrubs, medical workers normally pop those into the washer and dryer at home. This free dry cleaning offer keeps the scrubs out of medical workers homes and safeguards their families.
Dry cleaning workers who sanitized the uniforms wear personal protective gear themselves.
The word has gotten out and the response to the free dry cleaning has quadrupled in the last week.
Sgt. Hibbs said "It's another added layer of safety for us and we couldn't be more grateful."
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19