Depending on who you ask, it seems like everyone has a story about how they heard the good news.
"I got the news from a friend of mine who told me to check the internet," said Mario Santacruz, co-owner of Lisa's Mexican restaurant.
"Actually, right before you called this evening, we got the news," said Father George Jweinat from the St. George Orthodox Church.
See the map below to find out where your county stands and keep reading to learn what can and can't open in each color-coded category.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
At Lisa's Mexican Restaurant, the oldest Mexican restaurant in Daly City, there was no time to waste. Tables were ready and the regulars were back with reserved seating.
"I said 'make a reservation! Make a reservation,'" San Francisco resident Tess Harrison said.
In the kitchen at Lisa's Mexican restaurant, the chef was cooking with a smile on his face even though now a face mask is covering it.
"We miss our customers all the time," restaurant co-owner Guillermo Pinzon said.
It was a monumental day for many after six months and a short reopening in between.
On Tuesday, San Mateo County officially moved from the purple to red tier, where indoor services are now permitted in many sectors.
RELATED: Coronavirus in California: Here's how close your county is to changing tiers in California's reopening phases
"Fitness centers, that means people can be open up to 10% capacity. If you want to catch a movie, movie theaters are going to be open," said San Mateo County Supervisor David Canepa.
Restaurants will only be allowed to have 100 people or 25% capacity.
"The same goes for places of worship -- 25% capacity or 100 people. Whichever is less," Canepa said.
At St. George Orthodox Church, Father George Jweinat says they are ready to leave the outdoor services behind and begin to gather indoors on Sunday.
"These pews are 14 feet wide each. If you notice where people sit, there will only be three in each pew," Father Jweinat said.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic