WATCH: I-TEAM uncovers unsettling background behind COVID-19 antibody testing site
Schena, 57, is charged with an alleged scheme to mislead investors and commit health care fraud by filing more than $69 million in false and fraudulent claims for coronavirus testing he developed at his laboratory, Arrayit Corporation in Sunnyvale.
The ABC7 I-Team first reported questions about the performance of Schena's COVID-19 tests just a day before his arrest in June, and followed up once charges were announced.
I-TEAM: Founder of Silicon Valley lab charged with fraud in connection to COVID-19 antibody tests
Schena is out on bail while the criminal case and a civil complaint brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission move forward.
Prosecutors say they are targeting a trial start date in March.
Take a look at more stories by Dan Noyes and the ABC7 News I-Team.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic