For Patrick Delgado and Lauren Jimenez, they got the first two steps right - but the marriage part hit a bump on the road five days before the wedding. That's when Lauren tested positive for COVID-19.
"It's no joke, COVID is not fun," says Lauren.
RELATED: SF couple says 'I do' at Chase Center after fairy tale Disneyworld wedding canceled amid pandemic
With Lauren quite sick and quarantined in her bedroom, the wedding seemed like it would be canceled considering the couple could not be in the same room.
On the day their marriage license was set to expire, Patrick and Lauren decided to go for that storybook ending.
"I was like 'maybe we can somehow get married with me in the window. It'll be like a fairy tale, I guess,'" says Lauren.
So the fairy tale ruined became a fairy tale renewed.
VIDEO: Cardboard wedding party? Mountain View couple gets crafty recreating big day during pandemic
Lauren substituted Rapunzel's long locks of hair for a rope made by her aunt.
The couple says they each held an end of the rope because they were so far apart and wanted to feel as if they were holding hands.
"As soon as the ceremony was over, I was back in bed," says Lauren.
They are now man and wife, but reality has set in quite quickly for the newlyweds.
RELATED: Venues refuse to give couples refunds for coronavirus-canceled weddings
"We still have yet to see each other. We're still waiting for that day," says Patrick.
Because they each live with their families, this now-married couple will go more than three weeks before they can truly make it official.
"For me at least, is being able to kiss him. 'Cause we didn't get our first kiss as husband and wife," says Lauren.
Until then, this fairy tale is writing its own ending.
"At the end of the day, it's just about us," says Patrick.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic