87 arrested after curfew in SF; officers will be out in full force Monday night, chief says

KGO logo
Monday, June 1, 2020
SFPD plans to be out in full force Monday night, chief says
SFPD Chief Bill Scott explains why the curfew in San Francisco remains in effect.

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Eighty-seven people were arrested Sunday night for violating the city's 8 p.m. curfew, San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott said in a press conference Monday.

Most of the arrests occurred near Civic Center, where a protest that began earlier in the day continued past 8 p.m. Chief Scott said officers ordered the crowd to disperse, after which they "immediately saw hostility," including objects being thrown at officers and fires being lit.

Ultimately, 87 people were arrested for violating the curfew and another 33 people were cited. A loaded handgun, fireworks and other explosives were recovered in the arrests, said Chief Scott.

Two officers were assaulted, one using a skateboard and one with a "stun gun type of device," he said.

RELATED: Here's which Bay Area cities are under curfew and what it means

The police chief described Sunday as a much more peaceful day than Saturday, when there was more widespread looting of businesses and more violent clashes with police. Over the weekend, 33 people were arrested for felony looting. Nineteen of those people are awaiting charges from the district attorney, Scott said.

"We didn't have enough resources," Scott said of the Saturday protests. "Officers felt overwhelmed. I went out Saturday night and talked to officers and it was it was pretty sobering because we were overwhelmed."

On Sunday, there were an additional 208 officers sent to San Francisco from around the state.

"Last night the officers had a sparkle in their eyes because they were given the resources and given the support by the mayor's curfew order to do what was needed to keep our city safe," said Chief Scott.

About 1,000 people marched through the streets of San Francisco, carrying signs and chanting "George Floyd," "Black Lives Matter" Sunday afternoon.

"We're here because George Floyd was murdered in cold blood," Aliasiah Allah said. "We are sick of the countless injustices on black and brown lives, mostly black lives.''

Chief Scott acknowledged the demonstrations that took place in San Francisco were "overwhelmingly orderly and peaceful."

The curfew in San Francisco is in effect until further notice. Everyone who isn't an emergency worker is required to stay inside their homes between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.

"We have to see an improvement in behavior before my recommendation to the mayor would be to lift that curfew," said Scott.

He said police officers will be out in full force Monday night.

"We're going to go back at it tonight. We are committed to protecting property," said Chief Scott. "And we have squads ready to respond to any criminal activity, particularly in the midst of a public protest."

VIDEO: Tense standoff between SF protesters and police

SKY7 was up above when a tense standoff between San Francisco protesters and police occurred during George Floyd march on Sunday.

Mayor Breed joined Mission District leaders Sunday afternoon to stand in solidarity for the African American community in a peaceful rally.

"Your words mean nothing if your actions are something else. Stop turning Black Lives Matter into a joke, because it's not. It's born out of pain, it's born out of disrespect and racism," Breed said.

RELATED: Walnut Creek PD issues curfew effective immediately after looting at Broadway Plaza

Earlier, San Francisco Mayor London Breed reiterated the importance of following the curfew in San Francisco following vandalism and protests on Saturday night.

Breed said the curfew is "absolutely necessary for public safety."

Scott said the protest related to the death Floyd that swept through the streets of San Francisco Saturday afternoon started out peaceful, but as nightfall came, violence and crime began.

Scott recognized the purpose of the protest and said it was not something new.

"Too many African American men have been killed at the hands of law enforcement," he said. "This is not a new issue, this is not a new emotion."

The police chief said Sunday that 10 people were arrested on felony looting charges after Saturday's protest.

"Thirty businesses were looted or destroyed," said David Perry, from Union Square Business Improvement District.

VIDEO: "Parents, where are your kids?" SF Mayor imposes curfew, denounces weekend violence, looting

More protesters marched in San Francisco on Sunday in response to the death of George Floyd.

Most stores on Maiden Lane and Grant Street were hit, from Luxury brands to Aaron Wyse's hat shop on Geary.

"It's a very frustrating time, burning down our own house isn't helpful," said Wyse.

VIDEO: Damage Sunday morning at Union Square in SF

About 25 to 30 stores were damaged, an official with the Union Square Business Improvement District said.

The mayor also addressed the heightened COVID-19 risk during the protests.

"Imagine how many more infections are going to occur because of these large gatherings," Breed said Sunday.

Take a look at the latest stories and videos about the investigation into George Floyd's death in Minneapolis.

Bay City News contributed to this report.