RELATED: FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn declines to back Trump's claim that 99% of coronavirus cases are 'harmless'
Dr. George Rutherford, UCSF's head of disease and global epidemiology was on ABC7 News at 3 p.m. Monday and commented on President Trump's COVID-19 remarks.
"No, not even close, not even close to a reasonable interpretation," Rutherford said.
He added, "It's a much more virulent disease that he gives it credit for. He should talk to his pal Boris Johnson about how he had to go to the ICU. "
Rutherford said around 40% of the people who test positive for COVID-19 develop recognizable symptoms, 20% develop more severe symptoms, which could lead to hospitalizations and at most, 12% have to be hospitalized.
RELATED: Coronavirus Map: Updated number of COVID-19 cases, deaths in San Francisco Bay Area
COVID-19 cases are steadily increasing in the Bay Area and the rise in California cases are "hugely driven" by the rise in cases in Southern California near the San Joaquin Valley. Nationally, there's been a "very rapid" increase in cases since Memorial Day. There's been more than 40,000 new cases a day, Rutherford said.
We also consulted Dr. Rutherford on which activities he would engage in amid the pandemic.
He gave a hard "no" to indoor dining, indoor gyms and amusement parks.
COVID-19 RISK CALCULATOR: Quiz yourself on the safest, most dangerous things you can do as California reopens
Outdoor dining, outdoor gym classes, hair and nail salons are "okay" as long as masks and social distancing are practiced.
Staying in hotels, going on plane rides, visiting zoos, churches, museums and social hangouts with friends all fell into the category where it was "tough" for Rutherford to answer since he said they all depend on physical distancing, wearing masks and if you're hanging out with people from the same social bubble.
Watch the full interview with Dr. Rutherford in the media player below:
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- California reopening: Here's what's open, closed in the Bay Area
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- WATCH: ABC7 Listens 'From Anger To Action: A Bay Area Conversation'
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US