San Francisco and several other Bay Area counties have decided to move slower than the timeline outlined by Gov. Gavin Newsom. San Francisco will enter the second phase of reopening as early as May 18, says Mayor London Breed.
RELATED: Everything we know about CA businesses opening Friday and what comes next
In Stage 2, the city of San Francisco says the following businesses will be allowed to open for curbside pickup:
- Music and record stores
- Hobby, toy, and game stores
- Home furnishings and home goods
- Cosmetics and beauty supply
- Arts supplies stores
- Musical instrument and supplies stores
- Sewing, needlework, and piece goods stores
Dine-in restaurants are not included in the list of businesses allowed to reopen May 18.
BAY AREA REOPENING: Is the Bay Area ready for Phase 2? Here's what every single county says
"We have been hard at work to find ways to reopen more businesses and activities safely and responsibly," said Mayor Breed in a statement. "Giving businesses the option to reopen and provide storefront pickup will provide some relief for everyone in our city-allowing some people to get back to work, while still protecting public health. The last thing we want is to see a spike in the number of cases or hospitalizations, so we're going to be keeping close track of our key COVID-19 indicators and will be ready to make any adjustment needed to keep our community healthy."
The city plans to release more details on its second phase reopening guidelines next week.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- How California's COVID-19 cases stack up against other hot spot states
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions