SONOMA, Calif. (KGO) -- NASCAR has returned to the Bay Area for the first time in almost two years, and thousands of fans were more than ready to get out and hear those engines roar again.
The 2021 Toyota Savemart 350 is likely another positive sign of California's reopening.
RELATED: NASCAR's return to Bay Area a welcome attraction for fans despite lingering COVID restrictions
For NASCAR fans, it was like old times.
Sonoma Raceway was revving back to life after a long hibernation, to host the highly anticipated event.
"We are thrilled to have our fans back at Sonoma Raceway, 714 days since NASCAR last raced here in the Sonoma Valley," said Sonoma Raceway spokesperson Jen Imbimbo.
"This is our first NASCAR race," said Richard Summerlin from El Sobrante.
Summerlin and his young son RJ are excited to be doing something fun together.
VIDEO: 'This is stupid': Driver frustrated by Sonoma Raceway mask regulations
"We go to monster truck shows and A's games. We couldn't wait to get back out so we jumped at the chance," he added.
"Last year it wasn't happening it was sad, so it's nice to see it back again," said Crystal Clay from Las Vegas.
COVID-19 protocols are in place, masks and social distancing required.
At 33-percent capacity, it's was a sold out crowd at the raceway. Normally the grandstands can seat 47,000.
There was plenty of star power in the crowd.
RELATED: NASCAR driver races in 'Back the Blue' car
NBA superstar Michael Jordan was spotted off the track - he's now at NASCAR team co-owner.
49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan, served as race grand marshal - he says the experience gives him hope.
"Actually being at a sport with fans is the best feeling, I don't want to go through another year with cardboard cut outs, they can only do so much," Shanahan said.
No cardboard here, just real fans.
For many, it was a raceway homecoming.
"We love it, we'll be back," said Mary Heitghter from Lake Tahoe.
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows which counties can, can't reopen under reopening tiers
- Cheat sheet: What you can and can't do after being fully vaccinated
- How to register for a COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Interactive map shows what's closed and what's reopening in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Third stimulus check calculator: See how much you could get
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic