NOVATO, Calif. (KGO) -- Christmas is looking a lot different this year because of the coronavirus pandemic -- especially how we worship.
Many church services are being live streamed, other parishes are braving the elements outdoors. One church family was celebrating the season together in the North Bay.
It's a Christmas Eve like no other.
"I want to hear all the songs on Christmas Eve," said Vernon Nathe.
Parishioners at Our Lady of Loretto Catholic Church in Novato were celebrating Christmas Eve mass under a tent on the playground of the church's school.
Father Tony Vallecillo has been holding masses outdoors, but this one is different. "My message to parishioners is one of hope," said Vallecillo.
Hope, after a traumatic year.
"People have come down with COVID-19, having our faith to turn to has been reassuring for a lot of people," he said.
Patsy Berg survived COVID-19, but her son is still recovering from it after a long battle. "It was a big test of our faith, no parent wants to lose a son," she said.
The church staff was following protocols, doing temperature checks and spacing out chairs. Face masks are required for worship. Outdoor services are allowed for 100 people maximum. Reservations are required.
"We're happy to offer this to our community on this very unique Christmas season," said Vallecillo.
With so many friends and family separated this season, there are Christmas wishes for the future.
"I hope for a vaccine soon for everyone, and hopefully next year we'll be back to normal," said Nathe.
Meantime, Christmas 2020 is here at a time when we need it most.
For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
See more stories and videos about Building a Better Bay Area here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic