SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco hotels are gearing up to welcome tourists back to the city by the bay, but only when it's safe. When the city allows it, hotels will be ready with a new set of guidelines for the health and safety of guests and employees.
Delys Boone from Salt Lake City flew to San Francisco just for the day on Saturday. She said Union Square was disappointing.
"Well, it's very empty, it's not what we're used to be the weather's great," said Boone.
CORONAVIRUS IMPACT: 70 hotels in San Francisco temporarily closed, industry bracing for changes
Delys won't need a hotel, a good thing considering most hotels in the city remain closed to tourists due to the pandemic, except those housing essential workers and some homeless.
Kelly Powers from the Hotel Council of San Francisco says the pandemic has been devastating on the hotel industry. She says the council has developed new clean and safe protocols for guests and employees when doors reopen again. Some of them include:
- Requiring the use of hand sanitizer and wearing masks.
- Employees should avoid touching car and taxi doors.
- All valet services suspended
- One person or party allowed on elevators
- Use the stairs when possible
- Room cleaning should follow Cal/OSHA and CDC guildelines
"We want to reopen our hotels safely, we know that's the quickest path to economic recovery," said Powers.
Laura Handlery said she is one of the only employees inside the Handlery Hotel these days.
"My great grandfather opened this hotel, it's been passed onto three generations," she said.
The hotel remains closed and about 90 staff members have been furloughed.
"It breaks my heart, some of the housekeepers used to babysit me and my siblings, I miss them, I want them back along with our guests," said Handlery.
COVID-19 RISK CALCULATOR: Quiz yourself on the safest, most dangerous things you can do as CA reopens
Handlery says her family's hotel will survive.
The biggest question is when can hotels reopen. The mayor's office says as long as San Francisco remains on the state's COVID-19 watch list, all reopening plans are on pause.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay athome orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic