SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco's hotel industry is hurting from millions in lost revenue amid impacts of COVID-19.
Seventy of the 215 hotels in the city are temporarily closed following mandatory shelter-in-place orders.
"It was very difficult... to say we need to move on," said James Lim, general manager of the Omni San Francisco Hotel.
"COVID-19 has really dramatically changed how we operate business."
Lim furloughed more than 200 employees after being forced to close when occupancy rates dropped to historic lows.
"A week before we closed, we only had four out of 362 rooms occupied," he said. "We've never seen anything like this."
For the past five years, hotel occupancy rates in San Francisco have consistently stayed around 80-85%. But, weeks before mandatory shelter-in-place orders, rates plunged to around 6%.
"This is unprecedented," said Kevin Carroll, CEO of the San Francisco Hotel Council. "But, we will get through this."
Carroll pointed out there's no question the city will recover, it just may look different.
"We know people will start to come back to the city, but how will that look?" he said.
"Will there be differences in how we hold meetings? Will there be differences of how guests can interact in a hotel space and ballroom?"
All legitimate questions that will likely permanently change day-to-day hotel operations.
ABC7's Stephanie Sierra asked Lim what cleaning procedures will look before re-opening.
"We're dedicating almost half a day per room for the guest rooms to clean," said Lim. "It has to be fully sanitized before guests can come in again."
Occupancy rates for the hotels that remain open is between 5 and 10%. The San Francisco Hotel Council is working on establishing new cleaning guidelines for hotels re-opening after the shelter-in-place orders are lifted.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19