A New Jersey judge dismissed domestic violence charges against Ray Rice on Thursday after the former Baltimore Ravens running back completed his pretrial intervention program.
Judge Michael Donio had earlier told ABCNews.com in an email that he planned to sign the dismissal.
"I was just presented with a dismissal order from Prosecutor [James] McClain -- which means that Ray Rice has successfully completed all of his terms and conditions of his PTI -- therefore based on the Prosecutors recommendation I will be signing Mr. Rice's dismissal of his case today," Donio wrote in the email.
Rice's attorney, Michael Diamondstein, told ESPN's Adam Caplan that his client completed the program Thursday.
Rice has not played in the NFL since being suspended after he knocked out his wife, Janay Rice (his fiance at the time), in an elevator at an Atlantic City casino inFebruary 2014.
He was required to attend the pretrial intervention program for the minimum of one year, with the third-degree charge of aggravated assault set to be dismissed upon his successful completion of it.
Under terms of the program, Rice paid $125 in fines and received anger management counseling. The arrest will remain on Rice's record, but there will be no conviction.
Rice was reinstated in December after a neutral arbitrator overturned his NFL suspension on appeal. Commissioner Roger Goodell had initially suspended Rice for two games before increasing the punishment to an indefinite ban after the video surfaced.
Rice has repeatedly apologized for his actions. He has been free to sign with a team since his reinstatement but so far has received no interest.
Rice, 28, is a three-time Pro Bowler and helped the Ravens win Super Bowl XLVII. He rushed for 6,180 yards and 37 touchdowns in six seasons with Baltimore.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.