Residents evacuated after apartment fire in Alameda

Byby Sergio Quintana via KGO logo
Monday, September 22, 2014
EMBED <>More Videos

About two dozen people were forced from their homes after a fire broke out at an apartment building in Alameda on Sunday.

ALAMEDA, Calif. (KGO) -- About two dozen people were forced from their homes after a fire broke out at an apartment in Alameda.

It started late Sunday afternoon at Santa Clara Avenue and Chestnut Street.

Firefighters are doing final inspections on damage.

Residents are still not allowed inside because the power has not been turned back on.

A witness captured video of heavy smoke and flames coming out of the windows of the apartment building.

According to the fire department, all residents got out without any injures and no fire fighters were injured.

Alameda fire officials say one fourth floor apartment was gutted by the fire and five others were damaged.

The damage was contained to a single apartment building, but it moved fast and a witness told ABC7 News it got pretty scary. "Black smoke started coming out of the sliding glass door and then I called 911 and the windows popped out and then the flames started coming out while I was on the 911 call," Tina Ross said.

"You know we see the people live above us, we share a stair well and we always say hi to them. We don't know them that well but, I saw them walking by earlier and I feel really bad for them," Heather Cantua said.

Cantua lives right below the unit that was destroyed by this fire.

She's still waiting to see how bad her apartment is. It might have some water damage and then the unit below it may have some water damage as well.

The Red Cross has been called in to see if the residents who lost their apartment need any assistance.

The fire was contained to a corner unit and there was damage done to the units below that apartment because of all the water used to fight the fire.

The fire was caused by unattended food that someone was cooking on a stove in the apartment that was gutted on the fourth floor.