Spent barbecue causes fire in Santa Rosa

July 27, 2011 11:55:07 AM PDT
Hot coals or ashes from a barbecue are suspected of starting a fire that burned at a two-story home in southeast Santa Rosa early this morning, a Santa Rosa Fire Department battalion chief said.

Redwood bark landscaping material adjacent to the house at 2729 Canterbury Lane ignited after smoldering for hours, and the flames spread to the house, Battalion Chief Mark Basque said.

Firefighters arrived five minutes after the blaze was reported around 12:50 a.m.

The fire spread up the siding of the home to the first-floor ceiling space, then rapidly moved into the walls and ceiling space on the second floor, Basque said.

The fire was controlled within 15 minutes and did not penetrate the home's living areas, Basque said. The majority of the family's personal belongings did not sustain fire or smoke damage, he said.

The damage is estimated at $50,000, Basque said.

Load Comments