Even with masks on and plenty of social distance, it's the closest a group of choir students have been in-person in months.
"Up until Wednesday, I hadn't heard my singers sing in person and they hadn't heard each other," said Bruce Lengacher, choir director at Acalanes High School.
RELATED: Here's what Bay Area classrooms look like as they reopen during COVID-19
For Katie Bettencourt, a senior at Acalanes High School, she says, "It was exciting, it was especially good to come back and hear music."
"We went into a "phase-in" model towards reopening in a full hybrid," said Aida Glimme, Acalanes district associate superintendent, who says it's not a full reopening, but it's a start.
She says they have learned from other high schools that have opened too early and says they are closely eyeing the surge in cases in other parts of the country.
"Safety and health has to be priority. We are looking at those numbers, really concerning to see what is happening," Glimme says.
Contra Costa County COVID-19 numbers still look good. In Alameda County, more schools are planning some type of reopening next week as well.
RELATED: Bay Area residents describe how the pandemic is disrupting the new school year -- COVID-19 Diaries
Acalanes high says they don't plan on bringing all students back until January.
Lengacher says even as they increase the number of students on campus, he thinks they can make singing safe.
"With masks on with social distance outside, we can sing for about 30 minutes, then we need to clear the area and come back," he said.
Students are eager to let the music play, despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
"It's a worry, definitely a worry, but I'd say the risk is worth it for me personally," said Bettencourt.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic