The blaze was initially reported by a neighbor around 7:45 p.m. when she said she saw smoke coming from the windows of 1148 South Van Ness Ave., Smith said.
When firefighters arrived, he said, they found heavy smoke coming from the attic, eaves and chimney of the three-story wood-frame construction.
The fire was contained just after 8 p.m. and was under control by 8:45 p.m., said Smith. One person was transported to a local hospital for smoke inhalation.
According to the fire department, the fire damage was contained to the top two floors, which were determined to be uninhabitable. Four people were displaced and offered assistance by the American Red Cross.
Firefighters remained at the residence throughout the evening to help dispose of a large amount of charred material, according to Smith.