Santa Fe Chicken Salad with Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette
Serves 4 as a main course
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast cut across the grain into 1/4" strips
- 2 T Authentic Cafe Spice Mix (recipe follows)
- 2 cups corn kernels preferably fresh, but thawed frozen is okay
- 1 very thinly sliced medium sized red onion
- 1 cup poblano chili roasted, peeled, and seeded, sliced into 1/8" strips (about 1 large)
- 1 lb. mixed salad greens (I prefer something with crunch like hearts of romaine or iceberg)
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 lb. julienne jicama
- Lime Cilantro dressing to taste (recipe follows)
- 4-8" flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups black beans, warmed
- 4 ripe Roma tomatoes quartered lengthwise
- 4 tomatillos, husked and quartered lengthwise
- 1 avocado sliced into strips
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Heat a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add the oil and heat it about 2 minutes. Season the chicken with the Authentic Cafe Spice Mix and add the chicken to the pan. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the corn, red onion, and poblano chili and cook, stirring for 3 more minutes.
2. In a large bowl, toss the greens and jicama with the dressing to taste.
3. Place a warm tortilla on each plate. Spread 1/2 cup of beans over the center of each. Mound the greens over the beans, then spoon the chicken mixture over the greens. Place the tomatoes, tomatillos, and avocados around the greens. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.
Lime Cilantro Dressing
Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 3 T minced shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper (or to taste)
- 1/3 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
1. Place all the ingredients, except the oils, in a blender or food processor and process for a few seconds. With the motor running, add the oils in a thin stream. Process until smooth and emulsified.
Authentic Cafe Spice Mix
- 1/4 cup ground cumin
- 2 T dried oregano
- 2 T granulated garlic
- 2 T kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a small airtight container. Shake before using.
About Michael Zimmerman:
Michael has is own event planning company and has received international honors for his visual display work. A former caterer, he does food styling for culinary celebrities, inducing Tyler Florence and has made several appearances on television.
For cooking class info, visit www.draegerscookingschool.com