Lupe's Tamales de PIña Recipe:
- 2 lbs. Masa
- 1 1/2 Cubes Lard
- 3 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 3 Cups sugar
- 1 Fresh Pineapple, diced
- 8 oz. Raisins
- 1 lb. Dry Corn Leaves
1. Soak corn leaves in water in a large container for two hours.
2. Place masa in a large container.
3. In a large sauce pan, heat lard. Once completely melted, pour over the masa and mix thoroughly.
4. Mix in the baking powder, sugar and pineapple and raisins.
5. Mix very well.
6. Rinse the soaked corn leaves and place on a sheet pan to allow to dry a little. (about 10 minutes)
7. Place about 4 oz of masa mixture on leaf and fold.
Fill a large pot with about 1 inch of water. Place strainer in pot and place tamales in strainer standing up, making sure that the tamales do not touch the water. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
Place tamale on plate and serve with favorite red salsa.
Carneros Bistro & Wine Bar
The Lodge at Sonoma
Sonoma, CA 95476
This year, The Lodge at Sonoma, a Renaissance Resort & Spa is extending their annual Feliz Navidad dinner with an overnight package for those looking to couple this festive gourmet meal with a relaxing wine country getaway.
The "FELIZ NAVIDAD" package starts at $339 and includes:
· Deluxe cottage guest room with fireplace and deep soaking tub with local artisan bath products
· Feliz Navidad Dinner for Two at Carneros Bistro & Wine Bar, seating at 6:30 pm on December 11th ($150 value)
· Complimentary wine tasting for two at Robledo Winery on Thursday, December 11th or Friday, December 12th
· 15% discount on 80 minute spa treatments, excluding packages, for Thursday or Friday (must be used during stay)
· Breakfast for two at Carneros Bistro & Wine Bar
The Lodge at Sonoma's "Feliz Navidad" package is offered Thursday, December 11th for $339. Guests can add Friday night to their stay for a total package price of $529. To make a reservation for the "Feliz Navidad" package or for more information on The Lodge at Sonoma, please call 707.935.6600 or visit www.thelodgeatsonoma.
About Janine Falvo:
Janine's passion for food stems from a family deeply rooted in culinary tradition. Falvo, the Chef de Cuisine of Carneros Bistro & Wine Bar at The Lodge at Sonoma, was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where her childhood years were filled with memories of berry picking, seasonal harvest canning and celebratory holiday feasts. Janine enrolled at Pennsylvania Culinary Institute in 1998, where she completed the comprehensive and rigorous training necessary to graduate and become a skilled chef. Upon graduation, Janine worked under noted Bay Area Chef Bart Hosmer in Orlando, Florida before moving to California in 2001 to be opening Executive Sous Chef at Bradley Ogden's fine dining restaurant, Parcel 104 in Santa Clara, California. In April 2005, Janine set her sights on the bounty of wine country and arrived at Carneros Bistro & Wine Bar and was quickly promoted to Chef de Cuisine in January 2006. Janine upholds the restaurant's tradition of celebrating the best of local ingredients by offering up the finest organic meats, artisanal cheeses, local produce and baked goods. Her dishes are also inspired by the 480 square foot herb and vegetable garden just outside the restaurant's doors. Falvo's signature dishes emphasize flavor and rich tastes of Northern California while complementing the restaurant's exclusive Sonoma County wine list. Janine's culinary savvy has earned her recognition as Restaurant Hospitality's "Rising Star Chef 2007."