A person walking by called the fire department at 2:35 p.m. and reported seeing smoke coming from a blue house at 3714 Cesar Chavez St., Smith said.
Firefighters arrived at the house about three minutes later and saw smoke coming out of the three-story wood frame home with two addresses, 3714 and 3716, Smith said.
There were three dogs, including "Max," on the second floor and a fourth dog on the third floor. There were also three cats in the building. Firefighters were able to move the animals to a secure area away from the smoke while they put out the fire, Smith said.
The cats appeared to be uninjured. The other three dogs also appeared to be all right, but were being evaluated for smoke inhalation, Smith said.
The fire appears to have started accidentally in the garage area on the ground floor of the building and burned through to the first floor, Smith said.
Firefighters had the blaze contained within nine minutes and under control about 10 minutes later.