Poached Orange and Lychee Fruit Salad, with Lychee Granita and Lavender Ice Cream
By Kyle Caporicci of CandyBar
Lavender Ice Cream
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup lavender
- Combine milk, cream and lavender together in large pot and rest overnight.
- Strain through a fine strainer. Add sugar and heat to scalding.
- Beat egg yolks. Gradually pour cream mixture into egg yolks while whisking rapidly. Pour cream and egg mixture back into the pot and over a medium heat stir with a rubber spatula until it thickens enough to coat the back of the spatula.
- Strain through a fine strainer and let chill in the refrigerator.
- Once fully chilled, process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- 2 cups lychee juice
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- Combine lychee juice and sugar into a pot and bring to a simmer. Pour into a wide, shallow container and freeze for 5 to 6 hours.
- 5 blood oranges
- 5 cara cara oranges
- 5 tangerines
- 1 can of lychee
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- pinch of salt
- With a knife peel and segment oranges and tangerines, and cut lychees into quarters. Place all fruit into a large bowl or container.
- Combine sugar and water bring to a boil. Add salt and pour syrup over fruit. Let cool.
Candybar is San Francisco's first dessert lounge, located in the city's Western Addition neighborhood. Their kitchen is dedicated entirely to dessert, Chef Kyle Caporicci is constantly working on new and innovative ways to indulge your sweet tooth. Come visit, grab a board game off the shelf, select some wine from our list of sweet and dry wines, and of course, have some dessert!
Meals on Wheels Event
The 22nd Annual Star Chefs & Vintners Gala will be held on Sunday, May 17, 2009 Website: http://www.mowsf.org/events.html