Recipe: Thai Coconut Soup
- 2 Tablespoons Corn oil
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame oil
- 1 each Yellow onion, julienned
- 2 ounces Ginger, fresh, unpeeled, chopped
- 2 each Stalks lemongrass, sliced
- 3 each Jalapenos, seeded, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Lime zest, microplaned
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro with stems, roughly chopped
- 6 cups Chicken stock
- 3 cups Coconut milk (13.5 ounce cans)
- 4 Tablespoons Lime juice, fresh
- 1 Tablespoons Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Curry paste
1. Heat oils in a stock pot on medium heat.
2. Add onion, lemongrass, jalapenos and lime zest and sauté until onion is tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Add cilantro and chicken stock.
4. Bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes. Strain through a chinoise (sieve with a fine mesh) and return to the pot.
5. Add coconut milk, lime juice, sugar, nam pla and salt and simmer five minutes.
6. In a blender, add cornstarch and curry paste to one quart of soup and blend. Whisk mixture back into soup in pot and serve.
Soup can be garnished with scallions, cilantro leaves and/or oil, roasted or smoked duck, shiitake mushrooms, rice, Thai basil, lobster, prawns, chicken, soy beans and/or basil oil.
For more information on Zinna, visit /www.zinniasf.com